DAWSON'S BLOG

"Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever." (Summation of Lance Armstrong)

Saturday, October 3, 2009

Nutrition Certification

Completed the nutrition certification with Robb Wolf today. What a brilliant, laid back, funny guy. Although 2 of his jokes he laughed himself but he did warn us that not very many people get the first joke. Something about a teeter totter and your ass. Hmmmm??? I'm still stumped.

He was very systematic and broke everything down so it was easy to understand for everyone.

We started the morning off talking about endocrinology. Even though I have a decent understanding about it, being a paramedic and dealing with diabetic patients daily, he simplified things and introduced me a Type 3 diabetes. What the hell is that you ask? I had the exact same question. It caught me by surprise. Essentially it's Alzheimers. Weird eh?

After a short break we moved on the the GI tract (gastrointestinal) and quickly discussed how food is transformed to the nutrients and vitamins we require for every day function. Basic high school biology. Good refresher.

Then he discussed something that he seemed very passionate about. Paleolithic nutrition. He is a strong advocate to that way of eating. I read Paleo Diet For Athletes by Dr. Cordain a few months back. He summed that book up plus the regular Paleo Diet in enough detail to convince me to attempt that nutritional practice. I tried it for a month, well not 100% Paleo. I felt lethargic and withdrawn for a month. Probably didn't help that I was suffering, from what I think was adrenal fatigue. I was, and still am, using whey protein isolate as a source of protein post-workout and for snacks. I like how he emphasized that the body does better eating solid proteins as opposed to liquid proteins. Liquid proteins tend to spike insulin levels because there is not a lot for the digestive tract to break down for assimilation. Never thought of that.

After my trip to South Africa, which I am sitting in the Toronto Pearson Airport terminal right now, I am going to attempt Paleo again. But I may keep milk in the diet. We shall see. But definitely no grains, sugars, refined meats (unless very desperate at work), and whatever else that is not meat, vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, and fat.

We discussed the Zone Diet in detail. I came to realize that I was way off the mark when I started upping my fat when I was on the Zone. No wonder why I developed "love handles" as my lovely girlfriend so eloquently pointed out. We talked about the macronutrients (proteins, carbohydrates, and fats) and how to help athletes design/tweak their Zone blocks.

We had some group work near the end of the seminar involving scenarios.

That was about it. It was a great presentation. Robb is a great person and was open to answer any question thrown out to him. There was only one time that he didn't know the answer and he came right out and said "I don't know." Respect man! Tons o' respect! If he returns to Toronto or anywhere close to Kingston, ON I would strongly think about re-attending the cert just to refresh my brain.

I learned a great deal and I hope to be able to share this new-found knowledge with the athletes at CrossFit Kingston and help them all become better athletes just by changing/tweaking nutrition habits.

I think this is Robb's favourite quote: "It's bullshit." Lost count after... 50 or so.

See you from the other side of the world.

3 comments:

crystal Wright said...

Dawson, found this while surfing the inter-wide-web. It may come in handy for your new paleo-diet.
http://cfscceat.blogspot.com/
ps. have a great time in South africa!!!

Crystal

Dawson said...

Crystal... I know the website you're talking about. I have it bookmarked on my computer. I have made some of the recipes from the site. Some are pretty good.

Thanks.

Sherri said...

Hi Dawson!

I LUV Rob Wolfs site and am thrilled you got to take the nutrition class from him! I have lost at least ten lbs since I saw you--yay! Zone was hard to get started on? But I am comfy with it now and excited to hear what you have learned! Been sick for over three weeks now--with everything you can imagine. Still a touch of bronchitis--but I will be in Thursday mroning at 7:00am. Looking forward to seeing you--welcome home!