DAWSON'S BLOG

"Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever." (Summation of Lance Armstrong)

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Cheat Meal


So I had my first official cheat meal while on the Zone Diet. It tasted soooo good but I felt so awful afterwards. I kept a log of how I felt and what my blood sugar was post-meal. Being able to check my blood sugar (I am not diabetic) was a bonus during the post-meal evaluation. I work as a paramedic so I have access to a glucometer. I did this at the advice of my work partner.


So I ate a pint of Ben & Jerry's Half Baked ice cream (fudge brownie chunks and chocolate chip cookie dough mixed with chocolate and vanilla ice cream). It was phenomenal. I also polished off 15 fruit cream cookies. Mmmmmm. They were scrumptious. And I had 2 packets of peanut butter. Yummy!!! So let's see how I faired out after eating all that. Oh yeah. The total calorie count for that meal... a whopping 2205!!! I didn't feel like that much going in.


1930 - finished meal

1945 - blood sugar 4.9mmol/L

1950 - developed a headache with mild nausea

- lethargy set in

2026 - nausea increased and focus/concentration decreased

2045 - blood sugar 5.7mmol/L

2115 - extremely lethargic (wanted to sleep) and still very nauseated with a "lump" feeling in the center of my chest

2311 - stomach cramping developed and became gaseous

0008 - blood sugar 5.9mmol/L and increased gaseous

0047 - bed

0701 - awaken and felt pretty good

0712 - laying in bed when mild abdominal cramping developed

0727 - mild headache developed

0930ish - finished breakfast and felt better


This was a "fun" experiment to see how my body reacted to all the sugar and to see how my pancreas reacted to having to release a whole bunch of insulin.


I don't know how Pat Sherwood could do something like this every week. I guess he's use to it now. I don't know. Could I do this again??? Probably not. I hate feeling as awful as I did. I will definitely modify my cheat meal. Maybe have my regular Zone meal and have a nice, rich dessert afterwards. We'll see.

1 comments:

Dawson said...

So Andrew, owner of CrossFit Kingston (www.crossfitkingston.blogspot.com) mentioned that I put down the nutritional values of each thing I ate. So here it goes (everything is a total, not per serving)...

Ben & Jerry's Half Baked (500mL container)
- calories - 1160
- fat - 52g (32g saturated... YUCK!!!)
- cholesterol - 180mg
- sodium - 340mg
- carbs - 132g (4g fiber; 100g sugar)
- protein - 16g
-- did I mention that this ice cream was Paleo??? Hahaha. Thanks Pat Sherwood.

Peek Freans Fruit Creme Cookies (15 cookies)
- calories - 825 calories
- fat - 33.75g fat (11.25g saturated)
- Cholesterol - 0mg
- sodium - 262.5mg
- carbs - 142.5g (60g sugar alcohol)
- protein - 7.5g

Kraft Peanut Butter Individual Packet (2 packets)
- calories - 220
- fat - 20g
- cholesterol - 0mg
- sodium - 0mg
- carbs - 8g
- protein - 8g

So the final tally of all things eaten:
- calories - 2205
- fat - 85.75g (43.25g saturated)
- cholesterol - 180mg
- sodium - 602.5mg
- carbs - 282.5g (4g fiber; 100g sugar, 60g sugar alcohol)
- protein - 31.5g